Know the technology
Everyone may be knowing that the Apple's iPhone 3G has been launched in India . But many of us are not aware what is 3G. so let's have a brief look into it.
What is 3G?
3G is the next generation of wireless network technology that provides high speed bandwidth (high data transfer rates) to handheld devices. The high data transfer rates will allow 3G networks to offer multimedia services combining voice and data.
Additional features also include HSPA(High-Speed packet Access) data transmission capabilities able to deliver speeds up to 14.4Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8Mbit/s on the uplink.
3G wireless networks have the bandwidth to provide converged voice and data services. 3G services will seamlessly combine superior voice quality telephony, high-speed mobile IP services, information technology, rich media, and offer diverse content.
What are the Advantages of 3G?
3G networks offer users advantages such as:
· New radio spectrum to relieve overcrowding in existing systems.
· More bandwidth, security, and reliability.
· Interoperability between service providers.
· Fixed and variable data rates.
· Always-online devices. 3G will use IP connectivity, IP is packet based (not circuit based).
· Rich multimedia services.
Apple's iPhone 3G
What are Some Disadvantages of 3G?
There are some issues in deploying 3G:
· The cost of upgrading base stations and cellular infrastructure to 3G is very high.
· Requires different handsets and there is the issue of handset availability.
· Base stations need to be closer to each other (more cost).
· Tremendous spectrum-license costs, network deployment costs, handset subsidies to subscribers, etc.